Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life

Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life
Things through a different light...

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Free Time

I enjoy writing.  Whether it be writing a paper, as I am doing currently (well procrastinating about doing as I write this blog entry) or just writing for fun which I do when I have spare time... it is the perfect way for me to get out what lingers about in my head.  I contribute this partly to the fact that I worry about everything incessantly and basically I just need a place to dump the worry every now and again so it does not boil over.
I have had quite a lot to worry about as of late...
Now I have everyone from friends to family telling me oh just do not worry about things so much....
If it were that easy... yea.
I wish I had more time to write.  No, I don't want to be a writer... I truly believe that just because someone likes to write down their thoughts or spill the contents of their imagination out onto a page every now and again does not make someone a writer.  There is an element of talent, creativity, and drive a person must possess in order to make something like that a career... a passion I just do not possess.  That being said, I used to write quite a bit, when I had time...when my brain was not filled with thousands of little annoyances that compile and turn me into a worry wart at the drop of a hat lol.

Today I am writing about the First World War.  Specifically, reviewing a book that detailed the players decisions to go to war in 1914.  It is always insightful to read about something you know a bit on, from a different angle.  I have a different viewpoint on Germany for instance...who still did get the raw deal at the Treaty of Versailles, but in all fairness...had planned on a war tactic in order to dominate Europe and defeat Russia and France far before anyone got killed in Sarajevo.  I look at Austria-Hungary, who by the end of the war had really no way to pay back for any costs that should have been laid at its feet... truly also held plans to retaliate against Serbia long before it had any reason to...  Then there is the Ottoman Empire, so cloak and dagger and controlled literally by four men who honestly over the decision for war....could not get along and basically went back and forth over whose side they would enter the war on and when for almost a year.

It was an interesting book...it is an interesting subject.  So that is how I expel my need to write at the moment, getting my thoughts out in a constructive manner.

If you like WWI, I recommend "Decisions for War, 1914" edited by Keith Wilson.  It was written in 1995 and it has some interesting perspectives on when and why some major power players entered the war.  

No comments:

Post a Comment