Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life

Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life
Things through a different light...

Monday, January 7, 2013

Sometimes I Watch TV (Downton Abbey Spoilers)

The Spring is when I watch Television.  First, Downton Abbey starts in January and tides me over until Game of Thrones starts in March.  These are my two must see television shows (besides my occasional obsession with Morningjoe and Chopped).  Last night, I watched the two hour premiere of Downton which was pretty good...  I saw some issues, it is the third season and after a while and sadly after you get to know your characters like Thomas and O'Brien you start to just get annoyed when they immediately are up to their old stupid antagonistic ways... poor new guy.

I loathe Thomas, last season and his behaviors in regards to getting himself out of trouble in war and just going back to Downton to plague everyone makes me crazy....  Now he just seems overly bitter, and maybe he is.  

O'Brien is a mystery, she does horrible things, she does tender things and you just do not know where to place her... she is bitter too.

Knowing the actor who plays Matthew will NOT do a fourth season sets up disaster for his character and while you want he and Mary to be happy, his selfish stupid honorable behavior (yea I know he is being noble but there is a point to where you just do what is better for everyone not just your own feelings) just hopes he falls off a tall hill somewhere and Mary finds someone who suits her or she just goes on alone and champion's the family's cause because she has the same mindset as her father to some extent when it comes to how vital Downton is.

Now let me rant about Bronson...the activist Irishman who has married into the family.  Listen not every Irish person is a drunkard and cannot control themselves... it kind of annoyed me.  Not kind of, it really annoyed me.   I know I am partial, but I just thought the character was overdone a bit and perhaps he is struggling that much, if that is the case... perhaps the producers should have angled it a bit better, demonstrate his struggle a bit more so the viewer doesn't see him as such an annoying character as those in Downton does...playing up every stereotype they believe...  Yes, he has very serious beliefs that are backed up by a volatile history during the time that fostered extreme hatred on both sides, and yes he seems to be in the belly of the beast while having a formal dinner with the very people he saw as oppressors (the part about the bomb under the cars seemed the most realistic because he was being candid and not belligerent).... I just think the producers made him look a joke when I think his character represented some serious issues in 1920s.  This coming from someone who knows IRA songs about the Black and Tans so I know I am bias.

Overall, Season III has started out pretty well and I am sure I will enjoy the season, but like all good things... I think perhaps we are seeing the twilight of Downton and I would rather it end strong than linger and become silly.


No comments:

Post a Comment