Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life

Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life
Things through a different light...

Friday, May 2, 2014

In a Moment of Procrastination...

Every big reader has an obsession book or set of books...the one they revisit, go over and over again...begin to analyze and mine is Harry Potter.
It is funny because when Harry Potter the series first emerged on the scene I scoffed at it and refused to read it, after all I was an adult and these books were for 10 year olds.
I have since got over that hump and acknowledge my full obsessive love of the books.

I have my own wand, scarf, and socks even.... so yea.... there is that.

Today, in an attempt to avoid reading about the doom and gloom poetry of medieval France, and because my son is watching Goblet of Fire, I thought about something that struck me as odd in the Fourth book.

The Goblet of Fire in all its glory!

In the fourth Harry Potter book, the plot setup follows the occurrence of the Triwizard Tournament, an event that promotes wizard relations and friendship through placing three school aged wizards through a number of mentally challenging and dangerous tasks...the winner gets the triwizard cup and a cozy thousand gallion prize...not bad for facing dragons, weird sphinx riddles, and scary merpeople.  My conundrum begins when underaged wizards including Fred and George Weasley attempt to enter their names in the tournament (there was an age limit placed due to the dangerous nature of the tasks) and everyone cheers them on and thinks is a gas, but when Harry Potter's name is called (the fake professor moody places his name in the cup in order to set up an elaborate plan to revive Lord Voldemort), everyone turns on him and treats him like dirt, even his best friend Ron (who is jealous mind you).  Just made me wonder, is it Potter's own personal fame that caused most of Hogwarts to turn on him or is it just kids being kids.
Nevertheless, it does not really matter.   This all comes from my own avoidance of work lol. 

No comments:

Post a Comment