Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life

Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life
Things through a different light...

Monday, July 26, 2010

Poem of the Day

A dust covers the world
the gritty soot in a thin layer
scratching my skin
irritating my eyes
things seem so clouded
and the burning incessant
salty tears fall
in an attempt to cleanse
yet the vision is a blur
and I see only the shapes of things
as if in a distance
on a hot and tarry
asphalt road
In a wave of confusion
I search for the clear
the transparent
yet visions of other lost souls
block my path
mud faced trenchers
with hollowed eyes
and yellowed skin
bellowing out a mournful song
of pain and suffering
I burn incense
to mask the phantom smell
of decaying flesh
remnants of the dead
I've never seen
These words come alive
from the pages
of that which I read
Pangs of war
endless bouts of suffering
and in the blur
covered by ash
I see it as if it were plain as day
no sleep for the wicked they say
as we send more to the trenches
without vision
or clarity

No comments:

Post a Comment