Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life

Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life
Things through a different light...

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Further Thoughts on Religion

Now that I have all the negative out of the way... let me just say this...
I know good Christians, Muslims, Pagans, Agnostics, and Atheists.  I know people who would give half of their last dollar to help someone else and that may be because they are following Jesus, Allah, the Goddess, or their own moral compass.... and I applaud these people.  It is uplifting to see people of all faiths do it right.  Love, care, uplift, do whatever they can do for their fellow man just because they know deep down it is the right thing to do.  
I have seen the amazing works of a small church who give almost everything they have to those who suffer regardless of what those who suffer believe...  I have seen a Muslim not only reach out, but try to help people who don't, understand their faith and I have seen non-combative agnostics and atheists (because I despise the combative ones who think just because someone has a faith, they are ignorant).  Perhaps I am lucky, because I know so many diverse people who do it right as opposed to the world around me who gets it wrong...  For someone like me, who really wants to understand faith and religion, the concept of a higher power... it can be discouraging.  
I know that a good percentage of the GOP proclaims to be Christian.  But, I have a huge issue with cheering because a Texas governor executed over 200 people and I have an even bigger problem when people cheer because these same candidates say let those without insurance die.    I don't understand that, I don't comprehend how you can be so cruel and cold and yet stand under the bastion of Christian faith.  I have seen true Christians, they love so much it hurts.  They sacrifice their own stability in the hopes of helping more people.  And yet, I can turn on television and see people use faith as a tool to recruit people to their cause and at the same time behave so unlike any Christian that its appalling.  Now, I said last time that not everyone has it in them I think to be  truly selfless....I know I don't.  I try, but I have my moments where that cute new outfit online is WAY more important than anything at the time... I' human and so is everyone else.  
I just wish anyone would take a second before condemning someone else... for their faith, for their sexual orientation, for their beliefs....
Now, that being said....  the things I was mad about in my last post stand.  I try to see cutting small animals to do a pagan ritual you have no connection to because a black metal band is cool.... but thats stupid.  I know I keep going back to that but... man that infuriated me.  
I respect a person's choice to wear a hijab if they wish... I may not get it, but I respect it.  I respect someone's choice to be whatever faith they wish to be... and I may not always understand that.  Someone needs to really sit down with me and explain how Pastafarianism is a good thing... lol.  
I just struggle with this because I am heartbroken when I see people who are sick and have to choose between eating and getting medication... especially when they are older or infirm or so cripplingly poor that they cannot help themselves.  I am also terrified for people who are innocent of crimes but have spent years on death row and don't get the chance to make it to an appeal.  I read John Grisham's An Innocent Man a few years ago, and that is heartbreaking... because this guy did nothing and went to prison for it.  
So... right now, people are applauding because men are dying in prison and sick people without insurance don't get care.... what does that say about our society?
I think that even though Trent Reznor has not been a fan of organized religion and often has criticized it harshly in his music, he says it best when in one of his songs he says....
"I'm on my hands and knees I want so much to believe."
I want to believe that there is an innate good in people, but that is becoming so hard.  

No comments:

Post a Comment