Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life

Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life
Things through a different light...

Monday, January 17, 2011

Things Will Be Better in the Morning

We say, when we have a bad day or are having a bad time... things will be better in the morning.  I think generally it means with some times, problems are not as bleak as they seem to be initially and perhaps in some cases that is true.
I am non-violet, passive, diplomatic.
I have studied countless wars while trying to obtain a history degree and each one of them seem like a band-aid on top of a problem, save one or two.  Modern War resembles that more and more so, whenever I hear about war, violence, the idea of going somewhere and risking our soldiers, I think back about how successful that may be, what are our goals, why are we doing it and what may be the outcome in the long run... and recently, the cons outweigh the pros by dozens and dozens.

I have heard, often, from people I esteem as highly intelligent, that sometimes you have to fight to get things done, but what does fight mean?  Does it mean lashing out in a bellicose manner with violence, or does it mean standing up for what you believe in at all costs.  Today, above all days, I think about the gift of passive, the gift of  non-violence, and the things that it has brought us.  Martin Luther King Jr. would not resort to violence, regardless of the outcome and he, along with many other brave men and women, changed our country.  If something like that, in the middle of the hate filled 1950s and 60s (racial wise), can work... I think there is a great hope for our country, whose population has proven that it can change if given enough chance to grow and those who fought the good fight didn't give up and remained steadfast, speaking the reason that penetrates the brain and changes the senses.

It is my hope today, in a very polarized country...
Things will be better in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment