Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life

Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life
Things through a different light...

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Good Church

I don't talk about religion much because I one... believe its a very personal thing and my beliefs might be very different from someone else's and I don't think I should judge or look down on someone for theirs....regardless of what it is...christian, muslim, hindu, pastafarian....whatever floats your boat and helps you in your life.
But... I do have an opinion about what is a good church.
Coming from the south as I do and seeing every street in the south flooded with tons of different churches, I wonder how there are so many needy people with all these churches because those who follow Christ, truly follow christ... devote themselves as Christ would to help those in need.  So... when I see these giant mega churches who spend millions of dollars on fancy designs, pretty windows...ect ect.... I think about all that money that could actually go towards helping those who need it and not into a new flat screen or things of that nature.
I know of a good church and even though I tend to be a bit cynical about the whole concept on a personal level... I have more respect for this church and the people in it than I do every other big flashy church combined.
These people breathe helping others... they struggle, they hurt, and they want to do everything they can for those who need help and they don't judge the needy....they just see them and do what they can because its what one should do.  Every time I read anything about this church...its them delivering food to the hungry, helping the homeless find homes, giving someone who is broken a helping hand to heal the hurt and let them know that even during the darkest times...they have people who care about them.   These people aren't perfect, they are not rich... they have hard and stressful lives and somehow, a midst even the  most stressful of times they will stop what they are doing and go help those who need it.  It is an amazing and refreshing sight and they do it out of love because they truly believe the message of love that their faith delivers.  A good church, a church like that should be busting at the seams with people wanting to help make home made items for the poor in third world countries, man sno-cone booths to help those suffering from disease, deliver dozens upon dozens of warm meals to those who would otherwise go hungry and yet the good churches.... the ones bursting with love and willing to do whatever they can for those in need, the ones who accept you no matter where you are from.... those are the churches that suffer.


I just think the small church that I am constantly impressed with should know how amazing they truly are.  Never in my life have I deeply respected a church as I do this small congregation of people who would give their last bit of energy if they had to in order to ensure that an empty stomach was full and that those in need and alone knew they were not.  These people should know...they are a good church and what all churches should be like.  

No comments:

Post a Comment