Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life

Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life
Things through a different light...

Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Information Age has Killed Art...redux

I wrote this long blog about how today because of the information age... everyone thinks they are talented.
It reminds me of those pitiful people on American Idol who are so dismayed when they get booted off during auditions and told they have no talent when their family and friends have told them all their lives how talented they are... when they are not.
I wrote this rage against the false assurances that friends and family boost people with when they give out their works to read/listen to/ see..... and I deleted it by accident.

I will sum it up.
Art is mostly about talent and some about ambition.  Not only does one need the ability to produce and create... but they also need the drive and the immersion in their work that would enable them to live the life and not just talk the talk.  You cannot want to be anything just because you think it is cool.... you have to want it because it boils inside of you and is at the edge of your thoughts constantly.  A good writer/artist/musician... lives the life of an artist.  They involve themselves in the world of the creative, they talk to other writers/musicians/artists... they do everything they can and it is a passion that one cannot quiet.  I think a lot of people right now because of the ease of getting out there (thanks to the internet) see the creative life as a cool one.... but is it because you long to create or is it because you have no idea what you want to do?  When I was in 3rd grade, I thought baseball players were cool and I wanted to be a baseball player, but I am no longer an eight year old.  The artist/writer/musician lives for their art and if you are unwilling to do that, then maybe... you just have a really involved hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment