Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life

Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life
Things through a different light...

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Being Healthy

Part of my dinner tonight


     For a while during my pregnancy Adam and I worked very hard to eat healthy and we have sort of fallen out of that with grad school, work, and a little one getting bigger and more active every day.  So, with some inspiration from others and the very firm belief that we want Aiden to eat healthy from the start and not pick up bad habits, we've begun to eat healthy ourselves and that does not mean we skip out on the really awesome but bad stuff completely, but we are going to try to keep meat or fish to once a week and cut back on sweets (I tend to bake a cake a week, this is going to reduce).

I think the obstacle with healthy eating is the false notion that it does not taste good and it really does taste good if you know what to make and take the time to get the right stuff.  It is actually slightly more affordable too...

We bought meat for a month and froze it, allowing for once or twice a week of fish or even red meat if it is lean and beyond that because we bought only vegetables and stayed away from all the stuff in the middle isles that will get you in trouble... canned stuff, etc.... we spent less at the grocery store than we usually do and we got more food.  I am excited about this, I want to be more healthy and I want Aiden to be healthy and on the weekends we are going to add in walking (it is just too hectic during the week)

So after buying things like kale, avacado, green beans, broccoli, brussel sprouts, grains, yogurt, and other healthy items... 

I did a kale salad tonight with hot peppers, goat cheese, and a little greek dressing

I roasted some potato slices with olive oil, sea salt, pepper, and garlic

and for dessert I sliced some bananas, sprinkled a little raw sugar over them and put them under the broiler for about 6 minutes.

Roasted Potatoes

broiled bananas

Pretty happy with the outcome of the dinner and I am hoping that we can continue these eating habits.  I want to be able to spend time with my son, be active, and enjoy life and I think that eating healthy is a part of that, and it will also make me feel better about myself and what I put in my body.  

After trying some of the really delicious food that my mother in law and father in law had over the weekend (they have started doing a plant based diet), I think that the key is making good food from the wide variety of foods available.  






1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed! I stood looking at the "greens" yesterday and almost put kale in my basket, but ended up choosing collards instead. I'll get kale next time and see how we like it. My big problem is that David really isn't a salad eater so I'll have to figure out another way to serve it.

    The potatoes and bananas look delicious!

    ReplyDelete