Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life

Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life
Things through a different light...

Monday, December 9, 2013

And Then There Was Break....

I am going to celebrate this month I have off... a month without deadlines and books to cram into an impossible schedule while frantically scribbling notes on post-its in a futile attempt to remember everything from a four hundred page book read over the span of three days...

It was a hellish semester.

Now, I adore school...to a strange degree, I love learning, I love research, and I love writing... but I also love my family and watching my baby boy grow up into a little man who has managed to now point at Ewoks in Star Wars and call them izzzieeeee (Which is Aiden language for Lizzie, our three year old Boxer). 

I learned a lot this Semester though and I got angry a lot... that is what happens when your classes are:

History of the South, Contemporary America, and Seminar in History: 1963.

I've never had a more disturbing, depressing, and anger inducing reading list and in a way, it didn't change me, but it influenced me...

So what do I have planned over the Holiday besides spending time with the people I love and taking it easy?
A book on Salem, Doris Kearns Goodwin's new book, and some Howard Zinn (just to make my father in law cringe a little...he he he, its all out of love).

History is important to me. I always talk about it, I usually am thinking about it, and I want... I truly want people to know about it... they don't have to obsess over it or love it, but I want people to know it.

Only a few more classes and I will be done with my graduate degree...and I really hope I can get into a PhD program, I so want to keep going.  

No comments:

Post a Comment