Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life

Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life
Things through a different light...

Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Plus and Minus of Puerto Rico

Puerto Rico is a beautiful country. I have never seen a place so lush, green, and naturally beautiful in my life...not up close at least. I can say I have stood thousands of feet in the air atop a mountain peak in the Puerto Rican Rain Forest and gasped at the view of the distant shoreline with brilliant blue waters and creamy soft sands. I have waded in the freshest of mountain streams as I watched clean water fall from rocky edges into a clear pool of clean water. I have sat under an ancient tree and leaned against its moist bark while looking around at the multitude of plant life that covers the forest floor...
While in Puerto Rico, I also was able to immerse myself into the rich history of the country. I stood atop centuries old fortifications and looked down at the rocky shoreline of Old San Juan. I have walked the winding and dark tunnels that extend under the walls of an ancient fortress just to come out into a beautiful courtyard of marble and stone. I stood on the battlements of the same structure and witnessed the largest fire in Puerto Rican history burn only miles away, catching a few smart shots as I marveled at the massive amount of smoke going into the atmosphere and the flames that lept into the skyline of San Juan like something out of some odd movie, and nothing real.
In Puerto Rico I have sat amongst locals and had the pleasure of eating some of the most amazing food I've ever had...with fresh spices and passed down recipes. I've lounged in a cafe for a light dinner of the best bean soup I've ever tasted and begged for more when I cleaned my bowl, all the while sipping on the best espresso I've ever had the honor of tasting. Each eatery, each roadside stand, each server and cook have their own stories and the food as well as the people tell the story in each native dish as you, the patron, savor it.
Ive also seen a darker side...where some will take advantage of those who dont know any better for God knows' what reasonis...
Ive never seen a gun up close and personal until now, and I could have been fine without that knowledge.

but even with the negative...Puerto Rico was beautiful, but I dont like its newer urban center in San Juan...give me castles, coasts, and rain forests anyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment