Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life

Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life
Things through a different light...

Friday, March 15, 2013

Just Wow

Over the years, I have witnessed some pretty nasty things said... sometimes by intelligent people, on the topic of race.

There are a lot of misguided people who believe because we elected a black president...that somehow racism has gone away...

And then this happened....

You know we can all be shocked and sickened by such behavior, thinking that it is rare, but I know people who think this way.  I've heard them use the N word, I know that they truly believe that just because someone's skin color is slightly different from their own...that they are less of a person and I am not kidding.
Now, I do not willingly speak to this person, I do not like this person... but I know them and have known them since I was a child and it disgusts me when I see things like what happened above.

Racism is alive and well and its insidious and disgusting...
All one has to do is read the macon.com comment section or the 13wmaz comments on facebook to realize that not only is it alive, but there are quite a few people who over the last decade or so have regressed and while they used to whisper this stuff in private with their like minded friends, now have ways of expressing their disgusting and backwards thoughts in the open and because no one completely ruins them for it...they keep doing it and its becoming OK and acceptable and its shocking.

I've been called lazy, I've been called a welfare queen, and told that I need to teach my "people" how to not act like animals on a public forum because my name is Lashonda and they assumed I was black....

Welcome to Middle Georgia right?  Where an hour away they still had a segregated prom a few years ago....
And people wonder why I want to move away from the south
(before you say racism is everywhere... I know it is, but some places are worse than others)

No comments:

Post a Comment