Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life

Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life
Things through a different light...

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Someone Dying Is NOT Funny

Perhaps I am sensitive (I know I am) or a bit more serious than a lot of people I know and while I enjoy social media, there are some characteristics of the thing that kind of truly bother me and that includes a level of distanced insensitivity that people have because of it.

What is this about?
Why is it that when a celebrity dies, someone eventually thinks its quite alright to make some sort of distasteful joke about it?
Why is it funny that someone suffered, that something bad happened, that family and friends are hurt deeply... I don't get it.
It never fails, someone dies (today it was actor Phillip Seymore Hoffman...who I thought was amazing) and within a few hours I see at least one person make some off color remark and it kind of turns my stomach a bit.

Just because someone is famous doesn't make their death any less significant or more significant...someone died, it is sad and people are sad and its not funny, at all.

So anyway...
Its bothersome to me and I don't think I will ever get used to that trait we've acquired thanks to Social Media.

Someone had a drug problem, a drinking problem, drove too fast, had an accident, got cancer, died of old age...we all have had friends and family that experienced the same and it is never, not once...funny.

I don't think I am too mature for the internet, but I think I am at times a great deal too sensitive.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment