Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life

Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life
Things through a different light...

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Exhausted

Working in the evening while also taking care of a toddler all day can be a bit draining.  That being said, I am on break and the stress of getting a book read in a few days while also working and taking care of a toddler is gone... yay!
Until August...


he is so adorable... I am not bias

While on vacation, I tend to watch movies during the day... something I cannot do usually during the Semester and so I revel in it during the Summer.
What did I watch today?

It is a four part documentary about Hurricane Katrina and if you've not see it... watch it, it is amazing.  I had the privilege of visiting New Orleans in February of 2005.  I remember the excitement I felt when I realized I finally had the opportunity to visit a city I dreamed of traveling to since I was young.  It was amazing and I had a lovely time looking at old buildings, soaking in the living history of music, and of course coffee and beignets at Cafe Du Monde. I remember a group of us (I was there for work) went out to dinner after a day of meetings and found ourselves in a neon lit Bourbon Street club at around midnight (it was drag queen night) and the performers were fabulous. We had such an amazing night, but apart from the glitz, the touristy feel of Bourbon Street... we walked the French Quarter and stared at the beautifully designed old houses... I loved New Orleans, I still do.  
Fast forward to January 1st 2009. I accompanied my parents to a football game in New Orleans, but we stayed outside the city and on our way in... I saw the creepy remnants of Six Flags and the FEMA trailers where people still lived and I was heartbroken. The documentary is powerful...and it illustrates the level of suffering and the ability to endure that makes New Orleans such an asset to American culture.  

No comments:

Post a Comment