Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life

Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life
Things through a different light...

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Frustration

We live in a world of "I've got mine."  It is not a nice world to live in if for some reason you are poor or suffering, but those who could often do something about that revert back to "I've got mine" the first change they get.  I will admit, I was at one point oblivious  and I spent more money on a pair of jeans than some people get in a month, but I do try now...to be different and to be honest, part of that is selfish.
I never thought I would be unable to get proper medical care or medication.  I think to myself, we live in the richest country in the world...I'll never have to worry about that.  I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis when I was twenty-seven years old.  Six years later, I struggle with it, its hard, it makes me sick, the medications make me sicker... but I would rather take those medications than be cripple or unable to do the things I like to do.
Never have I been so sick that I had to often deal with health insurance companies...until now and its the worst experience ever.
Having to validate your need for medication to someone who has no knowledge of the medical field...is crippling.  Because Insurance companies and medication companies are for profit entities, they dont want to pay for the medication I get.  They dont want to have to fork out 2k a month for shots that may possibly stop me from becoming cripple down the road...and because of that, they make it impossible to get the medication you need, wear you down, beat you up, so you will give up and just stop trying.
My insurance company just did that... after denying my shots twice (shots that help me stay functional), I finally got them approved for a year...only to go to pick them up last week and get told that they were denied again. When calling the insurance company, I found out they changed our policy in January and made it to where in order to get my medication I have to go ot a certain pharmacy, get a 90 day supply prescribed and get them sent to me in the mail in bulk.  In order to do that, I have to go back to my doctor, get a new prescription, get it approved again and then drop 120 dollars at once just for the one medication to keep it going (thats if they approve it).  Its disheartening to see that a corporate company can decide whether or not I stay sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment