Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life

Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life
Things through a different light...

Sunday, July 31, 2011

I am frustrated

I read an article on cnn.com today that makes a ton of sense to me.  


Here it is

I am frustrated by it as well, because I do vote and i do understand compromise and I do understand that this country was founded on compromise because unlike a good many of the tea party members, I have read...in great detail... the constitution.
I don't think it matters what political side you are on, but one of the basics of our society and always has been is to be an upstanding example to the rest of the world.  If we do not pay our debts, if we get downgraded in the world and thus impact an already strained global economy, we aren't leading by example...we are showing the rest of the world how downright immature our society has become over the last two decades.
It really bothers me that so many people are SO insistent upon choosing Republican or Democrat rather than sit down at a table like adults and do what is best for this country and its people.  The debt ceiling and the budget are TWO very separate things, and until some tea party blowhards who are not educated enough to hold the offices they do...made it an issue they could crusade about.... no one even cared about it.
Here are some facts - 
Bush Jr. raised the Debt ceiling 5 times.
who voted FOR it... Cantor, Boehner, and McConnell all did.  Here are the numbers:
June 2002 - 450 billion
May 2003 - 900 billion
Novemer 2004 - 800 billion
March 2006 - 781 Billion
September 2007 - 850 billion
Did you hear about it??? Was there a debate???  Was it even an issue??? NO.
Do  you want to know why??? Because its a formality that has been around for years and years and years.... Reagan did it 16 times!!!
By the time Bush had been in office equal to the amount of time Obama has been in office now, he had raised the ceiling...twice.  
If I were the president, and more worried about the state of my country than my re-election prospects... I would use the 14th amendment, raise the ceiling and tell people to shut up.  We CANNOT be hijacked by the tea party.  This is not a republican / democrat issue... the reputation and financial stability of our country is a US issue and should be dealt with that way.
Sitting on two sides of a room and drawing a line in the center and refusing to cross to do what is right has finally got on my last nerve.  I don't care who you voted for, I dont care what "team" you say you are on.... we are a country built on working together and no one wants to  because they are so polarized the refuse to look at someone else's pov.
I love this DONT raise revenue on people who make 350 thousand dollars a year.... DONT take away any benefit of my medicare ... DONT take any benefit away from my social security.....
CUT taxes on me even though they are the lowest ive paid EVER.....
but FIX THE BUDGET you idiots...why cant you do it?????
We can bail out banks, we can bail out auto industry, we can have wars in multiple places costing us billions of dollars and yet we cannot see clearly enough to know that we need to work together as a country to  keep it afloat.    The vanity and the inability to work together is just beyond my scope anymore.  Logic is simple, in order to fix things, in order to even make a country of our size work properly, we need revenue.  Revenue does not fall out of the sky.  Tea Party members signed a pledge saying they would NEVER raise taxes, regardless of the reason.  This was as idiotic as them pledging they would not compromise.  They pretend to be so utterly patriotic, but they are set on a destructive path to shut down the functionality of our entire country and that really really depresses me.
I will end with this...
I recently watched a documentary about people who became US citizens, all of them... from all over the world from Mexico, to Russia, to India, to Iraq....they all wanted to come here for the chance at a better life...for freedom, for an open place where you can say, live, think, and worship the way you want.  They read about a place where people worked together and they renounced their homelands to be here...the best place on earth.  Id like to keep it that way and becoming polarized teams of loyalty rather than working together to solve something... is not the way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment