Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life

Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life
Things through a different light...

Saturday, July 16, 2011

It All Ends


A Reflection on Harry Potter







 I remember when I decided to read Harry Potter.  I wasn't like the millions of children who began to read the series immediately when it was first published here in 1998, to be honest.... I wasn't into the books until between the release of Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix.  By that point, I worked as a manager of a bookstore and had resisted reading the books for years, due to the fact that they were children's books and I guess I believed at the time, too childish for me.  That being said, scores of friends, customers, and others raved to me about how completely amazing the books were and I nodded, smiled, and went on about my business...reading a novel every now and again and just not finding anything that truly caught my attention.  
     I read every single book that was out within a few days, maybe three or four.  I found myself fascinated by the color and the depth of the story and with the humanity of the characters (for good and for bad).  I feel in love with the wizarding world just as everyone else had who cherishes this series and I am so thankful that I did.  For the first time in a long time...those books had me talking about a story and wondering, waiting in complete suspense for every book after to come out so I could finally see Voldemort destroyed and evil defeated. I can just imagine what it would be like to grow with the characters, like so many children had the opportunity to do, I can imagine that an experience like that only comes once in a lifetime and while they are just books and stories...they are a part of your childhood... a part of growing up and good friends for the last 13 years.
     When Deathly Hallows finally belonged to me... I remember immersing myself in the books immediately and reading it from cover to cover within a day.  One thing I recall that I didn't like about the book then, I appreciate now and understand why Rowling placed it in the book.  19 Years Later, after reading the complete gut wrenching last half of Deathly Hallows seemed trite and silly... like Rowling HAD to make it pretty for all the youngsters who grew up with Harry...to show how everything worked out just right.  Now, years after reading the books multiple times and tonight after seeing the final film in the theater (which I loved), I understand that chapter and I appreciate it more.
     The most important part of living through something traumatic is actually living through it and moving on.  We all have scars and I don't know if it means anything or if I am just overwhelmingly sentimental but, showing Harry and their friends survive and keep going after the most horrific of events details something that weaves itself through the entire Potter series...and while love is important, probably the most important theme in the books... hope is right up there.  Harry and his friends were willing to die in hopes of making the wizarding world safe for everyone.... and that hope and the willingness to make things right in the midst of terrible darkness is an amazing story and one worth conveying and teaching.  
I have never understood those who will look at you with utter disdain and proclaim "We don't read those books...."  I think, what a shame.  Rowling teaches the most touching and moral story of standing for those you love, doing whats right, and having the courage to stand up for what you believe no matter what faces you and I think that is something a lot of people should learn now.  There is also, a great humility in these children's books.... a humility in the sense that everyone is flawed and they make mistakes, but that doesn't make them irredeemable.  
    I guess I just am feeling a bit sentimental tonight, after seeing my last Harry Potter film in the theaters, after crying my eyes out for a bit when I knew I would (as someone so artistically pointed out to me the other day... You know what happens).  The filmmakers did amazing jobs over the years, having the series grow as it should over time and mature.  I am very content with the story and very glad I took the time one day to sit down and read those children's books.  



No comments:

Post a Comment