Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life

Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life
Things through a different light...

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

And It Begins...

This post should be more aptly titled And It Begins Again... but I always look at another year of school as a completely different experience.  My second year of Grad school... what on earth am I thinking again???  My ever constant quest to become a History professor moves on with my fourth semester at Sam Houston State University and I am excited and dealing with a bit of trepidation because I am attempting a full load of courses (three) while also dealing with a very lively and awesome eight month old... I think everything will be fine and of course that means I will have at least four meltdowns, but that is just all part of the ride.  

This semester I am taking a seminar in the History of the South, a Seminar in History that is focused on the year 1963 and Contemporary History 1933- the present.  This is a bit out of my usual scope so I am hoping that studying something completely different will be interesting.  I will miss my colonial people and all their oddities, but I am sure there is plenty of odd, strange, and the outlandish in contemporary history as well...

Right now I am reading Cash's Mind of the South for one of my classes and it is a very strange book... for one, I have to constantly remind myself that Cash wrote the book in the late 1930s and published it in 1941 without any revision or updates (he killed himself shortly after the book came out by hanging himself in a hotel room in Mexico city after getting an advance to write a novel about the south)... his perspective is very limited and obviously of the time he lived, but it also brings to light a very odd time in the South, right after the Civil War.  I am not very far into the text...but I do notice its dated language...even though his eloquence is sometimes so novel like that I keep on reading and forget to take notes....

oh...he has no footnotes, which is sinful in history... I have no idea where he got his facts and have no way to check them out... mind boggling and infuriating lol.   


I am up a bit later than usual doing laundry, stalking pinterest, and attempting to motivate myself to fix Adam's lunch for tomorrow, but the book is calling me and I have other things to read.

I may be a bit sparse over the next few months, I am sure you know why.  

No comments:

Post a Comment