Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life

Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life
Things through a different light...

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Sooo...

I have a lot of books, and when I say a lot... I mean over 2000 of them.  So, I am going to start featuring books I own.

First one UP....  is the first on the closest of my 8 bookshelves...


I ordered this book back in February used and it was because John Keegan recommended it.  It is a great overview of the war, nothing too in depth, but for a popular history it is an amazing look at the war that most people just do not know enough about.  What makes this book great?  I love the photographs inside of it, really nice.


Random Passage:

"On 31 May 1917 Bandsman Poitou wrote home to his wife that he had seen a train bringing soldiers back from leave in Paris to Chateau Thierry: 'the poilus were singing the Internationale, crying down with the war, long live the revolution.  I believe it is the portent of an imminent revolt.'  it was not, but that was not evident at the time, and it worried more significant players than Poitou.  On 8 May Petain was appointed to succeed Nivelle as commander in chief."
-page 242

No comments:

Post a Comment