Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life

Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life
Things through a different light...

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Love of a Dog

I have not had the time to post a blog in a while, it has been a bit busy, hectic, insane around the Wilson estate, but its time to get back to blogging and my first blog is something that is very important to me.  
Not 100% but feeling better
This amazing creature came into our lives in May of 2011.  We had just come home from England and both of us discussed getting a bigger dog and the opportunity came about.  When I saw Lizzie I fell in love.  Back in May, when we picked her up from to take her home, I could carry her to the car, that was a loooong time ago.  Now, She can stand up and almost look me in the eye and shes a bit big for me to pick up, though over the last few days... I have.  

Not everyone understand the devotion and love that some people have with a pet.  I have heard, many times... its just a dog.  No, its not just a dog... its a loving creature who shares its life with you, is there for when you are happy and sad....loves you no matter what and can tell when you are having a good day or bad and tries with everything in them to be there.  Lizzie is a part of our family and we love her just as much as if she was a person.   Adam and I don't have children, we made that choice, and instead we have this adorable and loving little puppy.

Lizzie has a sensitive tummy, so last week when she threw up once or twice I was immediately like...what did she get into?  We have taken away trash, pot holders, toys, shoes, you name it, this vibrant 7 month old has somehow reached it and carried around in her mouth like a prized trophy.  But, when she was still sick late in the night, I knew something was wrong.  After one of the most nervous days at work in my life... I rushed home last Wednesday and found Lizzie not herself, she was very sick and I knew it... and in a panic I took her to the only vet that was still open.  After a while there, we found out she had parvo.  

For people who don't have dogs, Parvo is a devastating dog virus that erodes the lining of a dogs stomach and kills them by pretty much dehydrating them.  It is dangerous, it is horrible, and for puppies... sort of easy to catch.  Parvo can stay in the ground for up to 7 months... so a dog could wander across your front lawn and have it, your dog could lick an area where they did their business (as dogs do) and boom.... have it.  Somehow Lizzie had contracted Parvo and for three days she stayed in the doggy hospital with very very worried and anxious parents, but by last Saturday...she had perked up, the vet (who is an amazing and wonderful person) was really hopeful and said we could take her home.  

It's now Tuesday, almost a week since she started showing signs of the illness and now...instead of having to try to beg her to eat or drink anything... she wants to eat all the dog food in the house, which means she is going to be alright!  She's lost a lot of weight and she's not as hyper as she was, but she is on the mend and our little Lizzie is going to be just fine.  I am not embarrassed or ashamed that most of last weekend I cried my eyes out in worry.  A lot of people have no clue how dear a pet is and there are even some that do understand and refrain from having one because of the heartache that comes when you lose one....and I understand that.
After these past months with Lizzie though and with the adoration and love of our other dogs, I realize how very lucky Adam and I are to have these amazing creatures in our lives.  Dogs love you unconditionally, even when you make a mistake, even when you are in a horrible mood, even when no one else seems to and we need that kind of love sometimes, especially in a world where a lot of people just refuse to understand the wonders of grace and love anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment