Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life

Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life
Things through a different light...

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Books

The initial thing any new guest to my home notices upon entering the front door for the first time has to be the gigantic collection of books I have.  In my main living room, I have two seven foot shelves and four smaller shelves along with a shelf in my bedroom, another shelf in our spare room, a shelf hidden in the kitchen, a shelf in my son's room... and a giant plastic container filled in one of the hall closets...
I have... a lot of books.
My fireplace is also decorated with four stacks of books... so yea, one can say I enjoy reading.
I read every day, at least twenty minutes and while during the school year (still in grad school) those moments turn to hours of intense study, it is still reading....
I have a thing for old books, this one is well over 100 years old

As soon as I found out that I was pregnant, I began buying books... having a kid that loves reading is not just a desire it is a goal.  I've had people joke since Aiden was born "watch, he wont like to read," and I know they think I am insane when I look at them like I've just had something nasty in my mouth but, pretentious as it may sound... my child will love to read because I honestly believe that the people who do not... are missing something sacred.


By the time Aiden was six months old, I read him every single book on his shelf AND the first three Harry Potter books.  He may not get the story, but he gets the process... and as he grows he will get the idea that stories come alive from a page and how important they are to creativity.  

I had two grandmothers who emphasized the importance of reading, one who took me to the library every single week during the summer... and because of it, I HAVE to read every night.   I hope my little man is the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment