Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life

Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life
Things through a different light...

Friday, July 26, 2013

First World Problems

I am going to take a moment today to complain about a very non-important first world problem that enraged me to the point of tossing computers last night.
I play a video game, one that I have honestly invested a great deal of time and money into (more than I would like to admit)...it is the only video game I play, I play about twenty minutes at a time and in my world of raising an infant and going to graduate school, this is truly the mindless relax part of my day (twenty minutes).

I am of course talking about World of Warcraft (WoW), the MMORPG (massive multi-player online role playing game).  I started playing WoW in 2004 and have consistently played it (give or take a few months off) since its launch.  The game costs 15 dollars a month so multiply that by almost ten years and we won't even get into how much I've spent...because there are in game items like mounts and pets I've purchased over the years as well...
It is my little frivolity and my only expectation is that I have the ability to log on when I want to play...

Me playing WoW
Go back in time 48 hours.... 

Wednesday, Adam found a pretty good deal at Best Buy where we would essentially get to trade in our current cellphones for new ones without any out of pocket expense and so I ended up with a new Iphone 5 and he opted for the Samsung S4, both pretty pleased with ourselves...we got home late Wednesday night and reveled in the sweet deal.
Thursday night, after we'd put Aiden to bed and I had a few moments to myself, I decided to log in Wow and play a bit before bed (I played earlier in the day with no problem).  WoW has a history of accounts getting hacked by people who want to steal ingame money and resell it to players.  Because of this security issue, they have a "authenticator" that is attached to your account and generates a random code you put in before you start your game session in order to ensure no one is trying to hack your account.  My authenticator is downloaded onto my phone...and thus the drama begins.

When I started the authenticator up and put the code in my account, it did not work and the app is not designed in a way for you as the player to reset it when you say...get a new phone and have to re-download the app.  So... in order for me to even have a chance to log back into my account I had to answer more security questions than I do to get into my bank account and... SEND a copy of my DRIVERS LICENSE to Blizzard to prove I am who I say I am just to get into the game that I pay for because the company's app does not have a way for the owner of the account to reset the authenticator when they have to redownload the app for whatever reason...

It was pretty dumb, it took almost half an hour, and I didn't really get to play the game I have spent who knows how much money on just to play.

Now... this is all pretty insubstantial and not important in the grand scheme of things, like I said... First World problems... but I was pretty annoyed just the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment