Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life

Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life
Things through a different light...

Thursday, January 12, 2012

1/12/12

The weather here in Georgia is a bit strange, and when I say that.. I mean a lot strange.  Somehow Georgia has this knack of creating this weather void of strangeness where one day it is 60 degrees, the next day it is 20, raining and windy.  For someone like me who has RA, weird weather can be a bane.  But, I am up with my lingering cough from the mess that I had over Christmas, bundled up and writing my blog, which I love to do.
For the book of the day today... I am going to cheat... I know I know, but I just got a new book in and I wanted to share it, because it is so cool.


Favourite English Teatime Recipes


I paid a little over two dollars for this gem, but I had to order it from a shop in England through Amazon.  Apparently there is a whole series, which I now want all of.  There are awesome recipes in here like Belvoir Castle Buns and Lakeland Lemon Cake, all which sound rich and good... so we shall see if I make any.


What am I reading on my Nook?


OH man I got distracted last night before I went to bed in the nook shop. I can do that quite easily and there are a few books I really want to buy, but I am being frugal since I have a ton of books I have not read.  That being said, there is an awesome biography of Anne Hutchinson that I found...that I must have.  If you don't know who she is... 


Here is a website dedicated to her


I have a fascination for Hutchinson because in some senses she sparks some parts of feminism in a time when that concept was unheard of.  She also called out the often eloquent but also often hypocritical John Winthrop for his paradoxical behavior when it came to reading and interpreting the bible as an individual and then saying... no not for you Anne, you child of the devil.


Anyway... This is the book I want....
American Jesebel:  The Uncommon Life of Anne Hutchinson, The Woman who Defied the Puritans 
As a nook book it is only : 10.99
Author: Eve LaPlante
Get it HERE!

What do I already have on my nook of interest you ask?


Henry VIII
By Allison Weir


This is a popular history of the Tudor monarch so its not something you would want to use as a source or anything, that being said... Weir does use notes and she isn't horrible.  I love reading about Harry here, he was a good king...he just had some lady issues that really got in the way of people looking at what else he did in England during the time he ruled.  His interactions with people like Thomas More and his defense of the Catholic faith (until the pope made him angry) are amazing stories within themselves, and he was not a huge fan of Martin Luther.   Good book to read, pick it up!

HERE, it is totally worth the 13.99 in nook book



   Musical people are just that... they listen to music, they love music...it has more meaning than just having something going on in the background or playing in the car to avoid silence.  Adam and I are music people...that is one of the reasons I think we love each other so much, similarities like the realization that music is vital to life. 
We just added an awesome record player to the kitchen, its amazing.


Our sweet setup
I am proud of it, and I broke it in by listening to the Cure last night.  I love the Cure, I have loved the Cure since I was a kid.  So today's music is brought to you by Robert Smith


This is a little old for some people, but amazing.  So... if you have never listened to the Cure, listen to this song and become a fan.


This Day in History!!!

1915 - A setback in the progression of equal rights in America happened when the United States House of Representatives rejected a proposal to give women the right to vote.  This struggle would last for years as women began to protest the wartime president Wilson and cause quite a scandal after they were mistreated and improperly imprisoned for their work to gain voting rights for women.

No comments:

Post a Comment