Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life

Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life
Things through a different light...

Friday, January 27, 2012

1/27/12

After a vacation of getting things in order and adjusting to school and such, I am back.  A lot has happened.  I am back doing research at school and I am really enjoying it, but being back at school also brings unwanted dramas...which have really dampened the mood.   There are days, more and more of them, that I wish I were not the stand up and say what I think type.  While I believe it is the right way to be, the unwanted stress always just pulls me down.  I think the perfect storm of that and the fact that our stranger than strange weather here in Middle Georgia has caused me so much trouble with my RA that when I get home from school or work I am too tired to do anything else, even post in my awesome blog, but I am going to try to be better... I am back from my self imposed hiatus and things should be back to normal.  I am going to Florida in February to see some family, so my blog may not be as traditional those days.


Sometimes older books by the right authors just fit... like they should remain in that form, look worn and aged.... this is one of those books...


Milton's Complete Poems (1899)

This book is over 100 years old, printed in 1899, a student edition of Milton's works and mine for a whopping 2.50 at an old book store.  The book has an old portrait of Milton in the front of the book, with the aged tissue paper over it and then it opens up to a splendid collection of beautiful works.  

Anyway, I love the book, its not perfect, someone used it as a text book way back when and their markings are inside of it...which to me...makes it even more wonderful.

What's On My Nook?

I currently have a tug of war going on between two books....  The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich and We Two, which is a biography of the relationship between Queen Victoria of England and her husband Albert.  Both books are engaging and interesting, but I cannot stay on one... I read a few chapters in each a night.    Also, I will have to be fair to my beloved nookbooks and be honest....
I have also been reading Of Plymouth Plantation  by William Bradford for school... so that has caused a bit of a lull in my fun reading, along with the research I am doing... it cuts in on the fun times... but... what to feature from my nook library today.... 

Oh...
These books are usually inexpensive and wonderful things to own, this one was only 3.99
I speak a lot about being an advocate for the poor, maybe not as much on here... but on my other outlets like facebook and twitter, I think its important, I think it is vital to understand the devastating effects of poverty on families, on children, and on a person's ability to perform later in life.   As I also spend a lot of time studying history, this book was a no brainer at 3.99 and a book I heartily recommend to everyone.  

How the Other Half Lives
By: Jacob A. Riis


What am I listening to???


The Cranberries
Zombie

This song was one of my favorites as a teenager, and its message... well, yea...totally me.

Today In History:

A little Georgia pride today, in 1785 the University of Georgia (the first public university) was founded.  GO DOGS!




No comments:

Post a Comment