Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life

Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life
Things through a different light...

Monday, January 16, 2012

1/16/12

Man, I thought the new year would put you ON track not pull you off of it.  I have had a lazy day or two and its showing so I have to catch up.  
I totally fell off the be healthy bandwagon and ate three krispy kreme doughnuts today.... and ate hamburgers, and tater tots, and drank beer... geeze.... Living the wild life I swear!!!


But, back to normal and doing some computer clean up tonight, transferring some stuff off the old laptop to this one and moving on.  Man I loved that laptop... even if that one a year ago and maybe I am kind of snarky with this one since the first new one broke so many times they had to replace it with this... regardless, this one works wonders.  I cannot complain too much.


So in between moving 11 gig worth of pictures and exercising and cleaning up, I am posting my blog.  :D


Long German novels... YES!!!
If you know me, you know I love Downton Abbey, so its only fitting that I would wrap myself around this German novel about the slow death of the upperclass German society as well.  It was a sweeping and sappy novel and I loved it.  We had to read it for a Modern Germany class and I would read it again.   LOVED IT.


Apparently it now comes not only in paperback for around 13 dollars, but you can also get it as an Ebook, which is awesome!!  If you like stuff like that, read it.. I liked it.  I always felt sorry though for the father in this book, his whole family just slowly falls apart, its strange.

What's on my Nook?

Today I don't have a picture of the cover for the book I am featuring, it is what we call a public domain title, which means 1. its free  :D  2. its old

Sometimes I like reading these old history books just to see the perspective from when it was written.  

Today I am featuring THIS GEM!!!

The Trials of Five Queens
Its a really old one but I couldn't resist... it was free...it had Catherine of Aragon, Anne Boleyn, Marie Antionette, AND Mary Queen of Scots... so this should be fun.  and free.. free is always good.
The bonus with this one as well... IF you don't have a nook, you can probably find this in google books for free as well.

Music of the Day!

We have been buying a lot of records lately.  One of the gems we found in our search was Duran Duran for only FIVE dollars.
OMG I loved this song as a kid.
This Day in History:

January 16th - 1572Thomas Howard, 4th Duke of Norfolk is tried for treason for his part in the Ridolfi plot to restore Catholicism in England.


In addition, for some reason these Norfolk guys were always plotting against the King or Queen at the time...something about that place... that and they always thought that they were the rightful heirs to the throne of England, never worked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment