Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life

Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life
Things through a different light...

Monday, June 3, 2013

The Power of the Interwebs!

Back in 2011, as a gift for graduating with my B.A. in History, my husband took me to England.  We stayed in London and visited places like Bath and Salisbury having a lovely time.  I think I took five million photographs while I was in England and most of them get lost in my giant online photo albums, but one particular photograph stood out...
it is not of Stonehenge or Westminster Abbey (though both were pretty cool and I have tons of photographs from each), but of a statue I found on a side road near Buckingham Palace.



It is a beautiful statue that I knew absolutely nothing about.
Because I love the photo so much, I have it as the background of my desktop and I also have a blown up version that I will be decorating my bedroom with (project this summer is to redo my bedroom... I am highly excited x1000... the little things get me).

Today, a close friend of mine Zoe came to visit and as we were sitting and talking, she remarked on how much she loved the photograph and asked about it.  After a few minutes we began to search the internet and thanks to google image search, I found out that this is The Queen Alexandra Monument which was sculpted by Sir Alfred Gilbert.

I have often wondered what it was and through mine and Zoe's powers of internet research (we are both historians so you know...we delight in this stuff), we discovered the history behind the monument SEEN HERE.


If you ever get to London and are in the area around Buckingham Palace, visit this beautiful monument, it is amazing.



I also have to give a shoutout to Zoe for bringing me a Royal England Wallchart that will be going up in my study post haste.

I think though first I will read my first copy of The Historian I received in the mail, (it is a quarterly journal for being a member of Phi Alpha Theta) there is an article about the West and Latin America that looks pretty neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment