Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life

Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life
Things through a different light...

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

A Sort of Recipe...

As you can tell when I talk about food or do recipes they are very generalized... because I kind of throw a dash of this and that until I get what I want...

This is how I make Collards....

I ADORE collards...
and I have a pretty quirky way of making them but they taste awesome so hey...




First take your collards... Fresh are best, but I have found some frozen varieties are OK in a pinch.

Make sure they are bite sized....

Put them in a pot and cover them with water, at least enough over them to cover them all, they will reduce quickly, but the juice rules...
I add one packet of goya's ham concentrate seasoning... I've done bacon, I've done bones...but with grad school and a baby this is fast.
Then I add to taste...really to taste... garlic powder, onion powder, some cayenne pepper, and well I use ghost pepper flakes because I like everything spicy.

Now bring all this to a boil on high and stir it a bit....

Then I add 1/4 of a cup of crisco or butter, whatever I have in the house and then... The magic part....

1/3 to 1/2 of a cup of vinegar.... YES vinegar... it does magic things to collards.

Then I put the whole thing on low, put a lid on it and cook it for at least two hours, sometimes more...

It may sound like an odd mix of things, but the collards come out AMAZING.

Adam, my husband, was never a fan of collards...but he loves mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment