Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life

Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life
Things through a different light...

Friday, September 27, 2013

It is Friday!!!

The last Friday in September and it is the first day I've opened the windows and turned off the air.  There is a cool breeze out and as it flutters the curtains, I can hear the wind chimes hit against each other as I study (or type this during my brief lunch break).  

Have you guys discovered Trader Joe's Cookie Butter?
 
 This stuff is amazing... and you can only get it at Trader Joe's (or for an insane markup on Amazon).  I would drive an hour and a half for this stuff... really... it is that good.  If you like gingerbread and love the texture of peanut butter... this is for you.  I am going to lament the moment our jar is empty.

I think I wrote Trader Joe's like 5 emails telling them they should build a store in our area, but our population is too small (see I need to live in a city).  


Today, many many centuries ago William The Conqueror...well he wasn't called that yet of course because he hadn't done anything... embarked on the Norman invasion of England (and all rejoiced). 
I know what you are thinking...hardcore dude right???
He looks pretty badass with his funny shaped head and tiny pointed feet. And as you can tell, Photobombs existed long before Twitter....

Aiden has his 3rd and 4th teeth coming in and he isn't fussy, but he wants to chew on THE PLANET...tables, hands, coasters...the dogs.  He owns teethers, but they are no match for how awesome a rag is and while he likes it, it terrifies me so I have since purchased rag material teethers in the shapes of fruit so he can chew away with me feeling grossed out.  

Finally, this is my last day with American Slavery, American Freedom and I am going to really miss this book.  Found out today how much the early colonial Virginia government behaved like mob captains.  Every single dude down the line got a payment so you could ship your tobacco to England and guess what... pay them to sell your crap to foreign countries because they wanted a cut too.  They even outlawed the sale of tobacco to anyone else so they could make sure that they got the 5% of the entire English budget from the Virginia colonists (yea 5% of the whole budget)...now granted that included Maryland and North Carolina (kinda sorta since NC was still technically part of VA) eventually, but still 5% of the entire budget is a lot.  

I also have to read about the Black Power movement in 1960s and Affirmative Action this weekend, but I have taken a bit too much time reading my colonial book because I like it so much...

One Governor in Va (they were royally appointed at this time and often just went to Va for the duration of their term and went back home) made so much money off side extortion "fees" that he sent his entire salary home to his wife... Tony Soprano better watch out... 

These guys made NOOOO money...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment