Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life

Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life
Things through a different light...

Monday, September 2, 2013

Hobbies, Likes, and the Internet

How the internet has changed hobbies...

I always wonder what things would be like without the internet.  I mean, I am old enough to say that in high school... I remember the world without the internet and it was a much different place, almost alien.

Don't get me wrong, I like the internet, but at times the easy connection of every hobby, every obsession, can be a bit arresting....

My old woman weird story of the day comes from a news report I watched while I was attempting to not read an article I have to read and respond to today for one of my classes....

First....  15% of all videos viewed on the internet are cat videos, that is cool... people like cats, I mean I like cats...but wow, that is a lot of cat videos....

Then the report went on and featured the Cat Video Festival where ten thousand people attend yearly.  TEN THOUSAND people go to an outdoor festival where they play cat videos on big screens from the internet...

and like I said on my Facebook... Mind blown!

There are times when I feel really alienated from this new wave of culture because I don't really obsess about any hobby that much.  I mean I like Harry Potter, I LOVE Harry Potter, but I just don't get that into anything.... am I weird now because I don't??

I feel like it sometimes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment