Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life

Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life
Things through a different light...

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

12/13/11

Ok, I got a bit artsy with this one.

Damned Women : Sinners and Witches in Puritan New England
By: Elizabeth Reis
1999 Cornell University Press

Oh this book, what can I say about it, I loved it.  The professor that assigned this book has probably given me the most wonderful books of my college career to read, Grad school and PhD work will have a hard act to follow in the realm of just great books and engaging books to read.  This book, focusing on witch claims during the Puritan era is breathtaking and insightful with a stunning array of wonderful research.

It was one of those books I couldn't find anything wrong with... I liked it so much.

I understand that some may shy away from academic texts, but if you have the chance, I recommend this one.

Here is a link to the book, you can get it pretty cheap.

"Laity and magistrates, women and men alike shared the belief that the devil could intrude in various costumes and demand that his victims serve him."
p. 71




Finally completing We Need to Talk About Kevin, I decided to move on to non-fiction for my next read on the nook color.  I've started Tony Horowitz's Midnight Rising: John Brown and the Raid that Sparked the Civil War.  I'll preface this with the fact that I have a growing fascination with the Civil War, which is rather funny if you knew me oh say...three years ago, when I despised the subject.  Being southern and a historian in training... the assumption that you will love the Civil War and lament the loss to the evil yanks is an assumption that I loathe.  I don't hold a great deal of sympathy for the South... I don't agree with the constitutionality of secession, and in truth, I believe the entire war was a treasonous rebellion in defense of a disgusting practice that an entire region relied on instead of trying to move towards industrialization and the future.  So, for a long time, I did not read about, did not study, did not care about the Civil War.  College changed all that, and thankfully after having an amazing professor for a Civil War class, reading some awesome books and (regardless of how accurate Ken Burns can be) watching one of the best documentaries I have ever seen Ken Burn's Civil War, I have a new respect and fascination with the subject.  I particularly love the oddities of the war, or in this case...oddities before the war... John Brown.


So... This is what I am reading!
Midnight Rising


This Day in History:


December 13th


In 1867, a Fenian bomb explodes in Clerkenwell, London, killing six.

No comments:

Post a Comment