Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life

Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life
Things through a different light...

Friday, December 2, 2011

December 2nd 2011

A surprising hit with me...get it, hit.

During my undergraduate studies at Macon State College, I took a great many history classes that just sounded cool, regardless if I needed them or not, this probably lengthened my years at MSC, but I didn't mind, I love that place.
Anyway, I took a sports history class and this was one of my favorites from the class, and also the next book on my shelf.  Now, unfortunately this does not reach my top five books of all time, but it is close... I'd say top 50, which is saying a lot if you saw the mountain of books I owned.

I never knew boxing was so interesting, I loved this book and thank Dr. Zimmerman for assigning it.  Its not just about boxing, and I recommending for anyone who likes good Non-fiction reads.


The Manly Art: Bare-Knuckle Prize Fighting in America
By: Elliot J. Gorn
Publisher: Cornell University Press


"Little more than a decade separated Morrissey's alleged complicity in the murder of William Poole and his election to congress.  Amidst the ethical laxity of Gilded Age business and politics, the elevation of a former bruiser seemed to guardians of propriety an especially telling sign of moral decline."  -p 127



No comments:

Post a Comment