Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life

Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life
Things through a different light...

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

12/14/11

Loved this book

Facing East from Indian Country
By: Daniel R. Richter

Harvard University Press / 2001

   This book tells the story of Westward expansion from the perspective of the Native Americans, its an amazing book, I read it for a Native American history course I took in college.
Had a great professor who specializes in the subject.

`De Soto's enslavement of thousands of Native men and women many of whom died under their burdens or were abandoned deep in enemy territory-- must have had a deep effect on communities already in demographic and political flux."

-p 34

What Am I Reading?
"aka, what is on my nook"

I'm still reading Midnight Rising, though a friend at work loaned me Beastly, its wonderfully terrible.... so much so, I cannot rip myself away.  :D

So since I don't have much of an update on what I am reading, I thought I would show you which bookshelf I am pulling from for my book of the day selections currently, as you can see...it will be quite a while before I switch shelves.

The first of 9 shelves.

Anyway, the Horowitz book is slower than expected, but maybe it will pick up.

THIS DAY IN HISTORY:
December 14th

Aside being the day of George Washington's death in 1799, it was the day Mary Stuart became Mary Queen of Scots in 1542.


No comments:

Post a Comment