Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life

Books, History, Food, Politics, and Life
Things through a different light...

Sunday, March 8, 2015

More Rambling About the Novel I am Reading

More than my usual amount of blogposts lately I know...

I am spending a great deal more time at the computer over the last few days as my comprehensive exams loom and I study more intensively, and thus... I am here more and when I take a break, my brain still has to do something.
I am not the sit and do nothing type and I do not nap so when I take a break...it is usually productive in some way.

My latest method of taking a break involves a nightly soak with bath salts (helps with the problematic joint disease) and reading something for fun.

This is my current poison

Flynn is also the author of last year's book inspired film Gone Girl. I liked the novel and the book so I thought I would try Flynn out again when I realized that this too has been adapted screen and will be released later this year. The protagonist is very unlikable and standoffish, but with good reason and I like it. The premise is good and the story is engaging, which is all I can ask for in a novel that I just read for ten to twenty minutes a day while I am soaking in the tub. 

I mentioned this previously, but I find one thing that Flynn does really appealing... her exploration into what it means to be scarred. The main character of Dark Places is the only survivor of a mass murder where most of her family was horrifically butchered and of course, that means she is not exactly all there... but similar to some of the characters in Flynn's other books, this one has physical scars to match her psychological ones (a missing half finger and two missing toes she lost to frostbite the night her family was murdered). It is an interesting way to outwardly project that the character is broken or damaged somehow, especially in a world that is so attached to the physical appearance and it happens more than once in Flynn's unconnected novels.
I just find that interesting, even for kind of throw away novels that I read without looking into them deeper than the story.

Now back to Darwin, bananas, and the Middle Ages 

A fun read so far 

No comments:

Post a Comment